Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Ides of March (4)



(Watch the Trailer)

An honest staff member working on a presidential campaign gets a real look at just how dirty politics can be.

Ryan Gosling (Drive, Crazy Stupid Love ). Oh, Ryan. You are the man. I actually think you may be my favourite actor right now. That's no mere leap. I watch a lot of movies and have a lot of favourites but I have been watching Gosling since the days of having a school girl crush on him in the television show Breaker High and have never not liked him in anything he has done. That's huge. I heart him. I really, really do. 500 gold stars and dozens of high fives.

George Clooney (The Men Who Stare at Goats, The American) is really growing on me lately. I'm not sure why I didn't like him at first but now I seem to really enjoy his movies. He was great as Morris and I thought he, Gosling and Philip Seymour Hoffman worked really well together.

Philip Seymour Hoffman (Pirate Radio, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead) is another favourite of mine. I think this man has a way of captivating people that is hard to find these days. There is just something about him that draws you in and makes you believe what he does. I'm not sure but I find him quite powerful and his performance this time around was right on cue.

One thing I noticed once the credits rolled was that they did suspense strangely well in this film. The music had a part in that but also the way Clooney directed some scenes, especially when everything starts going down near the end, really had my heart racing. The very ending of this film is awesome. I loved how they ended it. SO powerful and I feel like I will remember that more than any other part in this movie which makes this movie memorable to me.

I never thought I would be praising Clooney so much but I really liked what he did with this story. I liked the way he filmed it, I liked the editing and the performances. I thought each actor was perfectly suited to their roles and I was interested from start to finish which is no easy task seeing how I don't really care about American politics and usually don't care for overly political films. Well done Sir.

Great story, it really tests your mind and surprises you with strategies that you didn't see coming. Characters were powerful and the performances even stronger. Gosling is the man and while some may find this movie boring it is anything but if you sit and really allow yourself to be sucked into the story.

4/5

(1 full point is for you Gosling)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...