Monday, January 23, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (3.5)



(Trailer)

The 2011 remake by David Fincher.

You always take a chance when it comes to remakes. Some are good and most are awful but some are harder to discuss.

There are many reason why I didn't like this movie, but almost all of them have to do with the fact that I love the original Swedish films starring Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist and I have read all the books.

There was nothing wrong with Rooney Mara as Lizbeth Salandar, her performance was a lot better than I was expecting. That being said, I found things were missing from her character this time around. Noomie Rapace is and will always be Salandar to me in physical form. Rooney seemed a little less scary, two-faced and dangerous. Her eyes did not convince me of her intelligence and her physicality did not make me uncomfortable. The whole point of this character is that her outward appearance and reactions do not dictate her thoughts...I didn't feel it. Maybe I just can't accept Rooney because of Noomi...

I was shocked by my liking Daniel Craig (Cowboys & Aliens) as Blomkvist though. I rolled my eyes mostly towards him as this character when the remake was first mentioned. I liked him though. I didn't want to but I did.

I thought what they decided to focus on and what they decided to leave out was strange. I didn't get the same feel for the characters or get as much information as I wanted. In fact, I found the film a bit rushed, patchy and confusing at parts. I'm not sure how I would've felt if I had not known of the story before hand but the tension was as intense as it should've been.

The awful scenes and horror that was in the original is definitely left out in this film and instead they added some more sex scenes and, well, made it American. I love this story though and the characters are so interesting that I will always like these films and books.

It was still a good movie but I can't say I would tell people to see this one over the original. In fact, I still don't understand WHY it was remade at all but meh, that's what happens.

Bonus: Christopher Plummer.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...