Monday, January 9, 2012

Hugo (3.5)



(Trailer)

A boy loses his father and moves into the train station with his alcoholic uncle. Once he disappears it's up to Hugo to wind the clocks at the station and stay out of trouble. There he meets a girl who has something he and his father were looking for for a very long time...

The first 30 minutes of this movie was kind of boring. It was some boy running around crying about his dad and winding clocks. Then what you think the story is has nothing to do with it and the plot thickens. Then it starts getting interesting. THEN the story flips over and it's not even about the boy but about a completely different character and once it's about this character the movie is AMAZING (trying not to spoil anything).

So. A lot of the movie meant nothing to me. I sort of sat there and thought to myself "So people only put this on their best movies of 2011 lists because is's Scorsese..." and for the most part I still think that's true. The last 30 minutes or so of this movie are beautiful. The story is rich, the character that it is really all about is fantastic and passionate. It's like two different films. I liked the second one. I could do without the first.

I was disappointed because I wanted a little bit more magic and adventure and a lot less tears and wasted humour (at least I found the humour less than laughable when there was some).

It's hard though because I get why so many people liked this movie. I have to admit that I liked it too but only for Ben Kingsley (Lucky Number Sleven) and the story that the film is really all about. I didn't care for Hugo at all.

Still, interesting plot and I liked the idea behind the characters but it just didn't amaze me or seem enough like a wonderful dream for me to really enjoy it.

Bonuses: Chloƫ Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass) and Christopher Lee.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...