Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Separation (4.5)




(Trailer)


A 2011 Oscar nominee for best foreign language film by Asghar Farhadi starring Peyman Moadi, Leila Hatami and Sareh Bayat about a man and a women going through a separation but neither are willing to give up their 11 year old daughter.

I had seen this movie on a few best of 2011 movie lists and after it was nominated for an Oscar I had to check it out...

Wow. What a story. My muscles are still tense from this film. Right from the start it's a battle and it only gets worse. I really had no idea where the story was going to go but once it did I was glued to the screen. The characters, situation, cultural differences and each characters personal fears were so strong and very powerful. I think I forgot to breath for full scenes because the suspense and tension were so intense. My stomach actually hurt a bit too because I got so caught up in the story that their personal worries had become my own. Craziness.

I honestly don't know what more to say about it except that, even though I haven't seen the other nominees, I wouldn't be surprised if this won the Oscar. In fact, I'm sure it will.

If you like pure dramas this is a movie for you. I also liked how it completely took me out of my living room in Ontario and placed me in an entirely different world and didn't let me go until the credits rolled...and maybe even a few minutes after that.

Powerful film. See it.

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...