Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (4)



(Trailer)

A boy loses his father in 9/11 and goes on a hunt all over NYC to try and find the meaning behind a key his father left him.

This is one of my favourite books by one of my favourite authors, Jonathan Safran Foer. I wasn't sure if they would stay true to the book or not but they actually did a really good job of keeping the story and characters just as powerful as in the novel. Mind you, some of the scenes that were the most powerful in the book didn't translate to the movie but there was definitely NOT a lack of tears because of it.

This is a really intense drama with some well written laughs. It is not a light movie but it is heart felt.

Tom Hanks was great as the dad. Although he wasn't in the movie very much I thought he was great.

Sandra Bullock was okay, but once again, there isn't a very big role there either.

Thomas Horn who played Oskar was incredible. He nailed this performance. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. Such an amazing portrayal of the character and I thought he completely mastered the emotional level required for this character to be as powerful as he was. Well done.

I have no idea why this movie wasn't playing in every movie theatre. I have no idea why IMDb rates it so low.

Performances were great. Script did the book justice. I cried twice and was fighting back tears another 3 times. I also laughed here and there. I love the book and thought the movie was great.

Bonus: Max von Sydow who played The Renter, and was also nominated for an Oscar for his performance in this film.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...