Monday, February 20, 2012

The Iron Lady (2.5)



(Trailer)

2011 biography by Phyllida Lloyd about the life of Margaret Thatcher, the former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Meryl Streep is an incredible woman. I can't think of anyone more suited to this role than her. She was the only reason I wanted to see this movie and her performance was amazing.

I heart Jim Broadbent and always love watching him on screen. I thought he and Meryl were lovely together.

Besides the performances, there isn't much else I really liked. I found it rather boring and strangely edited. I thought that they tailored to their audience and left us in the, how to put this nicely, younger age group, to be at a loss as to what exactly was going on. Yes, I knew who Margaret was but I did not know anything about the politics in England at the time she was growing up or when she came into office. I have a bit of an idea but not really and I also have no idea what major factors came into play during her time as PM.

While they did show a few things, the information given wasn't enough to understand exactly what was happening and therefore not feel any emotion or give cause to any form of reaction to anything. Most information seemed to be given only to refresh your memory and bring you back to that time...except I wasn't alive and I also didn't grow up in England.

Over-all, performances were amazing but other than learning a little but about Margaret and England during that time this movie gave me little else to gain. Meh. Watch if you really like political dramas...

2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...