Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Secret World of Arrietty (3.5)



(Trailer)

This beautifully animated film came out years ago but was released only very recently in North America (there is a US version but I watched the UK version). It's based on a novel by Mary Norton and was directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi.

This movie was actually really creepy at times. Some of the animation was scary and one of the characters was really creepy...like a troll or something. Evil. I would think that this movie is for older children but I'll leave that up to you.

I quite enjoyed that Saoirse Ronan was the voice of Arriety and Mark Strong was the voice of her father (once again, I watched the UK version and really liked the voices used).

While the story was interesting and the animation was awesome there are definitely holes in this story. I know it's a family film so I'm sure they didn't want to burden kids with an overly in-depth story. I would like the read the novel because I enjoyed the characters and the world of these Borrowers or 'little people'. Still, while the film was enjoyable, it wasn't all I was hoping for.

3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. Just a little correction cos it bugged me- the screenplay was written by Hayao Miyazaki but the novel itself was written by Mary Norton.
    There are about 6 sequels as well, and they're all really worth reading. I love them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry about that. Turns out IMDb lied as I took the information from there.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...