Saturday, March 10, 2012

Machine Gun Preacher (3.5)



(Trailer)

I should've looked at what this movie was about before watching it because I looked at the title and saw it starred Gerard Butler (Gamer, The Bounty Hunter) and thought it was a joke action film. No, not at all. I also accidentally watched it when the whole Kony 2012 thing was all over the internet (well, it still is), which was perfect timing.

This is not an action film. This is a serious movie, based on a true story about a man who goes to Uganda and is so affected by what he sees that he spends half of his life there trying to save the children.

It was a very emotional story. I thought Gerard Butler was great in this film. I liked that Michael Shannon (Take Shelter)was in it and I also loved that the first 30 minutes of this movie seems like an entirely different (and less amazing) film. Do not judge this movie until you get an hour in and things REALLY start happening.

Story is important. The cast was good. Yes, there is fighting and shooting but it's while people are trying to save each others lives. This is a great balance of drama and action. It's a long movie but generally fast paced. The ending is questionable but I liked when they have the real footage during the credits.

Over all good watch. Check it out.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...