Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Melancholia (3)



(Trailer)

2011 Sci-Fi/Drama about the lives of two sisters as a foreign planet begins its collision course with Earth.

This movie was beautiful and the cast worked really well together but this movie felt like it would never end.

It took me all of 2 minutes (literally, maybe less) before I thought to myself "Hmm, this reminds me of Antichrist..." and sure enough this was written and directed by Lars von Trier. That gave me a hint at what I was going to watch. I mean, I like his films but they seem to drag on to me and take forever to wrap up the simple story. Although, by simple, I mean the plot and then he covers that with strange metaphors and wild female characters and leads you on this brain chase and then boom, it's over. Yup.

I normally do not like Kirsten Dunst ( All Good Things ) but she was pretty good this time around. She played the emotional rollercoaster crazy female quite well. It seemed like a great role for her and she did well from start to finish.

Ever since Antichrist I cannot look at Charlotte Gainsbourg without being scared. That was great during that film but now I find that every other role of hers pales in comparison. Which sucks, because she is good. Merh.

The story wasn't what the trailer lead me to think it was, but Lars is known for that too so I tried to go with it. I just got really bored and was waiting around for things to happen. Really cool shots though, this guy nails cinematography...but, I just couldn't really care about what was going on. Cool idea though and it was beautiful but didn't do it for me.

Bonus: Kiefer Sutherland.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...