Friday, April 20, 2012

Contraband (3)



(Trailer)

In order to help his brother-in-law from a drug lord after he messes up a run, a former smuggler goes back into the business for one last run.

A few people told me to watch this movie as they found it realistic, fast paced and a good suspense/action flick. I guess the bar was set a little too high because, while it was an entertaining and interesting movie, I wasn't really impressed. Here are some reasons why:

1. I found that Mark Wahlberg ( The Fighter) was not giving it his all. I like him in action movies but I found his character and therefore his performance annoying at times.

2. It had a great story at the base, but as soon as more characters were involved and emotions were on the rise I thought that the story lost some of it's meaning and the big trip lost a lot of it's purpose.

3. It had action and built up nicely and then...a ship. And they are on the ship. Yes, here is where they added in some needed comedy to lighting the mood a bit before diving back into to the dark stuff but they lost me here completely. I was BORED. Bored. Bleh.

4. When the action did come back my lack of interest before gave me time to figure out exactly what was going to happen in the film so the big climax and story twist was boring because I saw it coming waaaay before it happened. I also felt like they tried too hard to stretch out the suspense before the climax and by doing so cut the suspense and surprise in half.

I liked the general story. I would love to read the book that the movie was based on as I think that would fill in a lot of the blanks that I just talked about. I wasn't overly impressed with any one performance but I did enjoy to comedy that was thrown in by the supporting cast. I didn't hate this movie and I did enjoy myself while watching it but once it was over I couldn't help but only think of the flaws and now, 2 days later, I know I am not interested in seeing it again.

Good action, an interesting story but the suspense and surprise factor was too low for me to stay interested.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...