Friday, June 29, 2012

Safe House (3.5)




2012 action/crime film by director Daniel Espinosa about a rookie CIA agent in charge of a safe house gets a high profile guest. When the safe house is compromised and every one else is dead it is up to him to protect the guest at all costs. 

While Denzel Washington (The Book of Eli) was just Denzel being Denzel, I thought that Ryan Reynolds ( The Proposal) stepped up to the action plate for this role. He has a lot of hand to hand combat and car chase scenes and I was surprised on more than one occasion by him during this movie. 

Other than that, this is a good story and character balanced action movie but with an extra taste of audience involvement in what is happening. By that I mean that generally action films put up a wall and they are there to watch and enjoy. Good movies need a character, plot line or humour that lets the viewer in on a new level and allows for the viewer to enter the story on some level. I had that experience a few times during this movie but not for the whole thing. 

Liked the story, I liked the cast but am indifferent about the characters besides Reynolds who was really entertaining. The acting was legit and I was really into this film. The ending is predictable but it didn't make it less enjoyable. 

I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. The plot seems basic but there is more to it than you think. Check it out!

3.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...