Friday, July 13, 2012

Charlie Wilson's War (3.5)



(Trailer) 

Directed by Mike Nichols, this 2007 film is based on the true story about Charlie Wilson, a Texas congressman who takes on covert missions to assist the rebels in defeating the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 80s.

Tom Hanks (Larry Crowne, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) is one of my all time favourites. I have yet to see a Tom Hanks movie that I didn't like (and don't plan on it). I like his acting style. I think that he does a good job of fully embodying characters and bringing a certain personal touch to each movie. I dig it. Dig the Hanks.

Julia Roberts (Eat Pray Love) on the other hand is annoying me slowly and her face is also slowly scaring me with age. That being said, she really isn't in this movie very much and her character plays a not so crucial part which is great.

Speaking of great, Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Ides of March, Pirate Radio) . Another person that, although I may not enjoy all of his movies, I love all of his performances. The movies I didn't like had nothing to do with him. While Hanks embodies character Hoffman literally embodies them. He is a very physical actor and obtains certain characteristics with different characters that I love to watch. He is great on screen and I tip my hat to him.

Like the story. I liked learning about this true story because I really had no idea that it happened as I wasn't really born at the time BUT it doesn't mean I didn't fully grasp the intensity of what he took on. I liked Charlie Wilson as a person (or at least Tom Hanks being him) and I found it really interesting. The humour helped but the movie left off on a rather depression note. Although...can you blame them?

It may look boring and start out as a movie that you may not be sure where it is going but it quickly comes up from nowhere and rockets you into a story that is almost too crazy to be true.

3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...