Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jane Eyre (3.5)



(Trailer)

2011 adaptation on the classic novel, directed by Cary Fukunaga.

I think I am one of the few people in the world that wasn't forced to read this in high school and never got around to reading it. I usually like reading the books first but in this case, as Michael Fassbender (Hunger, Shame) was in it, I knew it would do the book justice (I will find out before the year is out).

I liked the story but it was Mia Wasikowska's performance as Jane that really stole the show. Teamed up with Michael Fassbender this duo was unstoppable. There connection in some scenes set off waves of tension, love, lust, anger and sadness at all the right times.

While the story was good I know that some of the characters and large chunks of the book were either left out or only glanced at when they should've meant so much more. The last chunk of this movie for me was a bit frustrating because relationships start to form and then are gone and then new faces come and go so quickly and you know it's emotional but are not 100% sure why. Damn. And the ending just comes up and is over before you really understand what has happened and boom. Done.

Good movie though. A solid drama with a slice of romance and a great book to movie film. Watch it for the performances and stay to find out if their love is really meant to be.

3.5/5 (but very close to a 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...