Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Five-Year Engagement (3.5)




(Trailer) 

2012 romantic/comedy by Nicholas Stoller about a couple who decide to get married but life keeps getting in the way of their plans.

I really liked this movie. It was more hilarious than I thought it was going to be but wasn't ridiculously laugh out loud to distract me from the relationship aspects of the movie.

The movie started strong and had me hooked. I was really digging this movie and was excited to see where they were going to take it but then BAM...one of them doesn't except the change and they go to bed and a year passes but when they come back to the movies on of the characters is MESSED UP. And I mean, not in a funny way (for me) but in a "where the hell did they pull this crap from" type of messed. I thought it was going to be a nightmare/dream scenario and was waiting for one of them to wake up but they didn't...it was actually where they decide to take the movie. From that point on it was just them trying to make it better and correct it and get that character back to normal which started to get boring after awhile.

I liked the story and generally liked the script. I thought that Jason Segel (Gulliver's Travels, The Muppets)  and Emily Blunt (The Young Victoria, Gnomeo and Juliet) were great and their supporting cast was awesome. It was more hilarious than I thought it was going to be and also more heart-felt and cute (but not in a kissing way...okay, maybe a little bit in a kissing way).

I just wish that they hadn't of gone so far to the left and then swing back around to try and end off on a good note...really distracting and made me lose interest in the movie.

Other than that, a great romcom and some solid performances. The ending also didn't suck.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...