Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Raven (3)



(Trailer) 

2012 mystery/thriller by James McTeigue.

Edward Allen Poe must solve the puzzles surrounding a string of murders left by a crazed admirer in order to save the woman he loves.

I didn't find Cusacks (Say Anything, Hot Tub Time Machine) performance as laughable as I thought it was going to be. Mind you, it took him the first half of the movie before he seemed to fully fall into his character and really start to harness Poe, but I wasn't expecting miracles. He was good for the part though in the end....even if there were a few eye rolling, over acting scenes involved.

I don't know much about Edgar Allen Poe besides parts of his collective works that I read in high school when I thought I was being dark, mysterious and cool. I feel like if I had known more about the man that I wouldn't have like the way he was portrayed but I thought the script was decent and the characters well cast.

John Cusack was nothing next to Luke Evans (>The Three Musketeers<
/em>) who played the detective. I thought his performance was great. Also, Brendan Gleeson (The Guard, The Secret of Kells) is always a huge bonus.
Costume's were okay. The blood and guts were pretty good and the suspense/thrill kept me watching with interest. It just didn't take me the whole way. The movie says what it has to say and then the credits roll.

The only thing I really didn't like about this movie was the ending. The climax - when you find out who it is and there is this character just didn't do it for me. I didn't really care; there was no shock, sympathy or anger.

This is not as bad as it looks and holds its own but don't be surprised if it doesn't rock your socks.

3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...