Monday, October 29, 2012

The Devil's Backbone (3.5)



(Trailer) 

This 2001 Spanish horror/drama by director Guillermo del Toro brings us the story of an orphan who is brought to a strange orphanage and discovers that it is haunted by many secrets.

This movie was on a lot of favourite horror movie lists and I've been waiting awhile to see it. I wasn't prepared for it to be more drama than horror but as the movie continued it began to become more and more interesting and I didn't mind so much.

I wouldn't say that this is scary. The first few encounters with the ghost was suspenseful but once the story builds and the characters open up more you become so involved with the story that everything hits you on a more emotional scale.

The kids were all great. Actually, all of the performances were good (Maria Paredes, Eduardo Noriega, Federico Luppi, Fernando Tielve).

Slow at the start but the creepiness and secrets keep building throughout the film. The ending is the best. I honestly did not see the last 15-20 minutes of this movie coming and that was the best part. Without it I would have been unimpressed but because of the way it ends and everything comes together I really enjoyed it.

Check it out. Also, I highly suggest subtitles over a dubbed version. Don't cop out.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...