Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cloud Atlas (3.5)




(Trailer) 

2012 drama/sci-fi by directors Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski.

Looking at the lives of several characters and how they interact with each other over the course of history.

I was really looking forward to this movie for a very long time. The very first time I saw the trailer I was hooked. It looked original. New. Exciting. Intense. Thought provoking. Everything that I want in a good drama.

What I got was disappointing.

I liked everyones performances. What an amazing cast: Tom Hanks (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close), Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Jim Sturgess (The Way Back), Hugo Weaving (Captain America), Jim Broadbent (Another Year), Susan Saranden, James D'Arcy, Ben Whishaw (Skyfall), Doona Bae, etc...

It wasn't the actors faults at all, I liked their performances, but I didn't overly enjoy the script. I thought it was a bit messy and flopped around too much. I was hoping for an original and deep story about reincarnation and past lives but there wasn't much for me to figure out or be blown away by. I left the theatre feeling the same way as when I entered. I suppose that I have an interest in the topic so I went in hoping that it would test the boundaries and teach me new concepts but it didn't.

I guess my high expectations ruined this movie for me. I was really hoping for a life changing movie with in depth characters and a script that would take a few watches to unravel. Instead I got a one dimensional plot with the only point of mystery was what the hell the tribe people were saying because I couldn't understand 80% of it. How can you feel an emotional attachment to a scene when you have no idea what people are saying? The answer is, you don't.

Still a good movie and I suggest watching it but don't be surprised if it doesn't blown your mind and make you want to see it again.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...