Saturday, November 24, 2012

In Darkness (3.5)



(Trailer) 

2011 drama by director Agnieszka Holland.

The story of how a German sewer worker in Poland hides a group of Jewish refugees in the sewers of Lvov.

I love films that are based on true stories. Especially when they are about war. This movie shows a side of WWII that I doubt very many have ever heard of and may still be unable to accept. I still cannot believe what these people went through. While the movie was a dramatization, it's still unbelievable.

That's the main reason why I watched this movie and liked it. It showed me a side WWII that I had never heard of which is rare as I have been actively watching, reading and listening to stories about the first world wars my entire life.

While the majority of the movie is focused around the one area in the sewers, I found this film interesting and suspenseful. While I enjoyed seeing the surface vs. the sewer, at times I found it hard to leave one or the other which ruined the flow.

I liked the main character and how he was the unlikely hero. By the end, you aren't sure if he deserves the credit he gives himself and you consistently doubt him throughout the movie. It adds an extra layer to the plot which kept things interesting.

I also liked how they took a deeper look into the German's who risked their own lives to help others. Even if, as is the case in this movie, they don't necessarily know the extent of their efforts.

For me, everyone should watch as many movies as they can regarding all of our past wars. War shows us humanity in its purest forms - good and bad - and allows us a deeper look into the world we live in.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...