Friday, November 23, 2012

The Illusionist (3.5)



(Trailer) 

2010 animation/drama by director Sylvain Chomet.

A French illusionist finds himself unemployed and heads to Scotland for work where he meets a young girl. Their adventure will change their lives forever.

Love the animation in this movie. I am generally prone to liking animation but this one was more like a painting than an attack of colours. It was also realistic - very beautiful.

I also enjoyed the fact there wasn't really any dialogue. I think it added to the magic of the story. You don't need words to portray emotion or move the plot forward or great a climax. This film proves that.

At first I loved this movie. Then part way through I lost interest and I'm not entirely sure why. I think it had to do with the fact that the story started strong and with a bang and the main character moves here and there frequently but once the girl is introduced things slow a bit. This was good as it allowed you to absorbed the characters but I think it also stop the flow that had already been created.

I know there was some deeper understanding to everything that I ultimately missed. I liked the story and the main character was really interesting. It was funny at times too which was a bonus. I guess I just didn't fall into this magical world and was a bit disappointed because of that...

...now that I think of it, maybe that was the point.

Whoa. Mind bomb.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...