Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Anna Karenina (3.5)



(Trailer) 

2012 drama by director Joe Wright brings this classic novel to the big screen.

The style of this movie didn't make any sense to me until I read that Tom Stoppard wrote the screenplay. Now it makes sense but I still don't know how much I liked it. They chose to lay a theatrical backdrop to everything - literally. The idea was that every scene was within the theatre. Mind you, the sets and set changes were great, I don't watch movies to see theatre. I suppose that's a snobby statement and it was pretty neat but I don't think that this story was the time nor the place to add extra theatrics. It was beautiful - I am torn on this.

That aside, the cast was amazing. Keira Knightley (A Dangerous Method, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World) was overall good but for some reason she didn't fit the roll as well as I thought she would. Maybe it's just that I am tired of her being in period pieces. Jude Law (Sherlock Holmes) was great as this character. Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Savages) was the best, in my opinion. It was good to see him in a serious role like this. He also does this thing with his face that screams sexual tension which was perfect for the character he was portraying. Matthew Macfadyen (The Three Musketeers)  is always a bonus for me.

Sets were beautiful. Costumes were beautiful. Music was fantastic. Cast was great. Still not entirely sure if I liked any other parts of the movie. It was very long and I know it had to be or too much story would've been sacrificed but still...loooong. They also seemed to be trying too hard to be stunning to the point of creating boredom - too much all the time.

I want to say 3/5 only because I still feel a bit bored after watching it but all in all, as a movie, it was well done and the performances were great so...

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...