Monday, January 7, 2013

Beast of the Southern Wild (3.5)




(Trailer) 

2012 drama/fantasy by director Benh Zeitlin brings us the story of Hushpuppy, a six year old girl living in a small bayou community with her hot tempered father.

Wow. Quvenzhane Wallis deserves an Oscar for this performance. She out acted everyone else in this film. Just...insane. I'd suggest watching this movie just for her alone.

I have never seen a movie like this before and that was refreshing. I really liked what the story was trying to tell me but to be honest, it didn't sink below the skin. Not saying that this movie lacks emotion - that is not the case. I just couldn't relate to the people I was trying to understand. I felt attached to the girl but other than that I feel like I missed something. In fact, I know I did.

The reason why I know I missed something is that when the...hmm, no that's a spoiler. Let's just say that near the end when some symbolism comes into play that I didn't quite feel the emotional impact that I know I should have. Am I completely to blame for this? Maybe. But it stopped me from really seeing this movie for how amazing it could be.

...maybe when I see it again this year I will be in the right frame of mind to be completely blown away.

Still. Quvenzhane Wallis. Just spectacular.

3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...