Monday, January 21, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty (4)



(Trailer) 

2012 drama/history/thriller by award winning director Kathryn Bigelow about the 10 year hunt for Osama bin Laden.

I am going to be honest and say that when I first saw trailers for this movie that I gave a heavy sigh and rolled my eyes. I thought it was just going to be another pro-America, kill the bad guy, we will prevail action movie. While there was hints of the above that isn't what the movie is about. I was surprised by how intense, in-depth, emotional and interesting this film is.

Jessica Chastian (The Help, Take Shelter, The Tree of Life) has been amazing in every role I have seen her in. That being said, I have only seen a handful of her movies before so I cannot give too much insight into if she deserves an Oscar or not. What I can say with 100% accuracy is that she embodied this role with all her being. That she made ME sad and angry with so much conviction that I actually forgot that she was acting. Bravo!

All of the supporting cast were fantastic as well: Joel Edgerton (The Warrior), Jason Clarke (Lawless) and Chris Pratt (Moneyball) especially.

I believe that if The Hurt Locker had not existed that Kathryn Bigelow would be getting way more credit for this film than she is now. Yes, the story is different but the script to screen perfection and the way she brings everything together and focuses on the right parts...love it.

I wanted to dislike this movie but I really liked it. It was long, maybe too long, but I think the back stories and the politics were necessary to involve so that the viewer (me) could get a grasp on the bigger picture while focusing on the inner plot. Some scenes could've been shortened or taken away and the pace was shaky here and there but come the end you no longer care.

4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...